Friday, December 18, 2009

It Knocks My Socks Off

Ani in the Hebron Christmas program. (A 30 second clip of this coming next week...)

There's Sydney, waving her flags in the Christmas program like a pro.

Ani with her best friends in India, Bethany and Amy

Our little snowflake.

Good evening, it’s a lovely evening here in Ooty, India. Weather update: rain today, but mostly it’s been about 70 degrees and brilliantly sunny. Yippity skippity! Actually, a part of the greatness of Christmas is the coziness inside and the frigid temperatures outside. And the snow of course. But this Christmas, I am guessing that the kids will be in a little lighter wear than the full bundle of a snowsuit. Just a hunch.

So, let’s do a quick recap of the last few weeks. I will try to make the details as spicy as possible. Three weeks ago, Jayson’s folks landed in merry India. We started it off having two Thanksgivings... I love that the first time in my life that I have had two Thanksgivings was in India. Each was a great feast and we were all very thankful. It was also a great way for Jayson’s folks meeting all our friends. After that, we gave his parents one day of rest and then packed up our house and moved the next day. One of our friends and fellow FF staff, Greg, was helping us move and he gave me the biggest compliment...He said it was a very efficient move. Gasp, jaw drop and sheer delight quivered through my body. I am not one for lots of small details and I dislike packing to the core. But a few weeks before we moved, I vowed to anybody listening that I was going to be the model packer. The last few times we moved - from our home on 65th Ave to the house that we rented from our church to India - I was nothing short of ridiculous. And everybody that followed on our heels had to pick up the pieces for me. It’s just too much micro-organizing for this girl and I would rather read a book than pack, let’s be honest. But this itty bitty move, taking our 14 suitcases across town, was a breeze, a cinch, a drop in the bucket compared to the moving I had done the previous year.

Nana and Papa brought the Christmas season with them.

I feel like I could write a whole blog about our move, but I have got to keep on truckin’... With our in-laws mighty help and decorating mad skills, we whipped this house into shape within a matter of days. Christmas decorating and all. We celebrated Christmas with them the weekend before they left and were quite overjoyed at the fact that despite the warm weather and the fact that we live in crazy India... we had a grand time celebrating. We were all so sad to see them leave a week ago, but so, so grateful that they were able to come and visit. I think the best part of them being here for me, was simply to have them around. It is a beautiful feeling to have the presence of others around that know you well and love you so completely...

Our 2009 Christmas tree in the prime of it's Christmas tree life. (Not looking so good by now...)

Let’s talk about this house for a bit. We are ever so grateful for this house. The mere coziness of it knocks my socks off. I didn’t realize how important that was to me until I did not have it. And then now that I do, I feel like I am eating dark chocolate all day... Also, the yard is quite big for India and has some beautiful flowers. The house is set up in a way that allows for big gatherings. The lack of space did not hinder us in the other house, but in this house it’s just a bit more manageable. Room to breathe. The house did come with a few quirks. It is not unusual for there to be caretakers that live on the property with the houses. So right behind us, like right behind us, like I could spit and hit their front door (let me clear that one up right away, I have never spit on their house and never intend to...), there is a family of five that takes care of the property. It was a bit odd at first, but now it’s no biggie. The house also came with three large dogs. I am not a big fan of them and we are trying to find homes for them ASAP. The house also came with a cook. Ridiculous, I know. We are not going to keep him on, but wanted to give his some time to find another job. So, currently he is cooking for us 3-4 nights a week. Sometimes I look at my life, and I can’t really figure out how I got here. And having a cook is one of those many peculiarities that I am facing currently. To not be the boss in my own kitchen has been a bit of an adjustment. We’re working on it. But with all my holiday cooking and baking as of late, I think I am ruffling his feathers a bit much.


Our friends Ryan and Angie on pizza and movie night


FF staff Anne and volunteers Justin and Becs over for dinner.

Next week, I’ll write about celebrating Christmas in India and what that entails - For Indian nationals and for the Palm Six. But for now, I’ve got a 1,000 piece puzzle that I am obsessing about and it’s calling my name...

6 comments:

Marsha said...

Great to hear from you guys. Sounds like a sweet transition and a wonderful time with family. What a blessing. I'm wanting to see a photo of your puzzle! We're doing one right now too and it takes every ounce of self-control to get my work done before I heed its' call of my name! Merry Christmas, Palms! Love you guys.

Adam said...

A Cook?! How great! I wish our house came with an administrative assistant!

Natalie Beckwith said...

I am so eager to see the video clip so I can put cowboys/gals into their proper Christmas compartment. Merry Christmas and lots of love from the Emerald City!

Anonymous said...

hi tarrah and jayson,

WE have a christmas card sitting here with your name on it! where do we send it? sorry that it won't get there in any timely fashion.

just email us at any of our multitude of email addresses. thanks!

anne & phil

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Palms,
It was good to read your blog again. We missed you! Glad to hear you are settled in your new home. I think if I were you, I would re-think the cook thing, sound wonderful to me!
Have a great Christmas. We will miss you here.
Love Aunt Sue

Roberta Turnquist said...

Merry Christmas all you Palms! So glad your folks got to visit - especially this time of the year. Nat & her family are here now and Jake & his family arrive tomorrow. It't the most wonderful time of the year! God bless you!

Larry & Roberta